Welcome to Our Personalized Nutrition Programs!
Thank you for your interest in our personalized nutrition programs empowered by Nutrigenomix®, a University of Toronto based biotechnology company founded in 2011 by global leaders in nutrigenomics research.
Nutritional Genomics, also known as Nutrigenomics, is a science studying how the diet interacts with genes to affect health, performance, fertility and other outcomes. This approach includes the effects of genetic variations on response to diet (nutrigenetics) and also the effects of diet on gene expression.
Genetic variations make us all unique by impacting the way we respond to foods, beverages and supplements we consume and giving each of us our own specific nutritional needs. Genetic variations cause differences in the amount of proteins produced and how efficiently these proteins function in the body.
We use Nutrigenomix® tests to develop a personalized nutrition and lifestyle plan for each client. A 2012 study found that DNA-based dietary advice resulted in a greater understanding of nutritional recommendations, greater interest in learning more and greater motivation to change eating habits compared to the provision of general population-based dietary advice (1). Other studies have shown that individuals receiving personalized dietary advice improved their food intake to a greater extent than persons receiving general advice (2) (3).
Types of 70-gene Nutrigenomix® tests available:
- Nutrigenomix® Health & Wellness test (Health) – It focuses on achieving optimal health for individuals who are pursuing general well-being. For example, these individuals may be interested in weight management, and improvements in cardio-metabolic health, maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and fitness – Most Popular test combined with Hormone Metabolism & Methylation panel test.
- Nutrigenomix® Sport & Performance test (Sport) – designed to provide nutrition and performance-related recommendations that will help active individuals and athletes boost physical and mental performance while optimizing body composition and nutritional status.
- Nutrigenomix® Fertility test (Fertility)* – designed to provide nutrition recommendations that will help individuals (male or female) who are trying to conceive by optimizing their fertility potential.
- Nutrigenomix® Plant-Based test (Plant-based; which is vegan-friendly)* – focuses on achieving optimal health and well-being for individuals following a vegetarian or vegan diet. Also, for people who wants to shift to a plant-based diet.
*Brochures available upon request.Brochure-Health-en with changes
Brochure of Genetic Testing for Personalized Nutrition and FitnessBrochure-Sport-en-with-changes
Brochure of Genetic Testing for Personalized Nutrition to Optimize Athletic Performance
Other genetic tests provided:
- Hormone Metabolism & Methylation panel: It can be added to any 70-gene Health test. The panel analyzes genes encoding enzymes involved in the production of androgens and estrogens, estrogen metabolism and elimination, and DNA methylation.
- Skin test: Helps determine how genes can influence the skin’s ability to combat signs of aging, as well as markers that affect eating habits and how the body metabolizes nutrients that support skin health.
- Pharmacogenetics test: Analyzes 425 markers to generate a customized report on how an individual metabolizes 12 major drug categories. Our comprehensive analysis examines pathways involved in drug metabolism based on information from the individual’s genetic profile. Knowledge of genetic modifiers of drug response can help individuals know which drugs might be less effective and which drugs might increase the risk of adverse side effects. Physicians can either consider alternative drugs or monitor their patients more frequently for possible unintended effects. Clients can also provide a list of current medications (500+ drugs are supported), and the report will provide information on potential effects based on genotype (i.e. drug may have decreased effectiveness or increased risk of toxicity). A saliva collection kit must be used, as opposed to a buccal (cheek) swab kit. If you do not have these kits on hand, we can ship you a supply or send a kit to your client directly to collect their sample.
Contact us to know more about the benefits of having your Genetic Testing for Personalized Nutrition and live the life you have imagined!
Maria Cancio-Bello, BSc, CNP
(1) Nielsen DE, El-Sohemy A. A randomized trial of genetic information for personalized nutrition. Genes Nutr. 2012 Oct;7(4):559-66. doi: 10.1007/s12263-012-0290-x. Epub 2012 Mar 11. PMID: 22407352; PMCID: PMC3448037.
(2) Nielsen DE, El-Sohemy A. Disclosure of genetic information and change in dietary intake: a randomized controlled trial. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 14;9(11):e112665. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0112665. PMID: 25398084; PMCID: PMC4232422.
(3) Hoevenaars FPM, Berendsen CMM, Pasman WJ, van den Broek TJ, Barrat E, de Hoogh IM, Wopereis S. Evaluation of Food-Intake Behavior in a Healthy Population: Personalized vs. One-Size-Fits-All. Nutrients. 2020; 12(9):2819. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12092819